I have been looking around for a healthy pasta recipe for a while now, but I haven’t yet come across one that I like, so I decided to create one myself. Now that our mini vegetable garden is up and running, I was excited to try using some of the ingredients to make the pasta dish – and it would have been even better if my son didn’t eat all the cherry tomatoes before we reached the house! Nevertheless, we managed to throw together a great healthy meal – and my husband and son loved it. Since we liked it so much I wanted to share it with you!
2 cups wholemeal pasta
2 chicken thighs
1 head of broccoli
6 large mushrooms
1 large tomato or 8 cherry tomatoes
1 cup baby spinach
+ any other vegetables of choice
1 tbsp coriander (cilantro)
2 tbsp parmesan cheese
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp pine nuts
1 garlic clove (or 1 tsp crushed garlic)
1/2 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Slice chicken thighs into thin strips and put aside. Then slice the mushrooms, tomatoes, and broccoli and put aside in a bowl.
2. Bring a pot of water to the boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
3. While you are waiting for the water to boil, place pine nuts, olive oil, garlic, basil leaves and salt and pepper into a blender and blend until well combined. Set aside.
4. In a large skillet over medium heat, add in 1 tsp of olive oil and cook the chicken. Once the chicken is cooked transfer it to a bowl and set aside.
5. Add olive oil to the skillet, add in your chopped vegetables and coriander and stir frequently until cooked. When the vegetables are cooked to your liking, add in the spinach and cook until wilted. Add the cooked chicken and stir.
6. When the pasta is cooked, drain well and add to the skillet with the chicken and vegetables.
7. Add pesto sauce and parmesan cheese and stir until combined.
Serve and enjoy!