Author: Tara Fulloon
Recipe type: Vegetarian
- 6 carrots, cut length ways into 6-8 wedges
- 3 red onions, cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Spices of your choice (I used steak seasoning, rosemary, cumin, onion seasoning and salt & pepper.
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 200g brown basmati or brown rice, rinsed
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 400g can brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 200g baby spinach
- handful toasted flaked almonds, or a few whole almonds (optional)
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan forced. Mix carrots and onions together in a roasting tin with 4 tsp oil and the seasoning. Roast for 30-45 mins (depending on your oven), while you cook the rice.
- Heat remaining 2 tsp oil in a large pan. Add cinnamon and rice and toast for 1 min. Pour over stock and 100ml water, then simmer, covered, for 25-30 mins, until rice is tender and the water absorbed.
- Tip in lentils and fork through before topping with spinach. Put lid back on and cook over a low heat, stirring once, until spinach has wilted and lentils are heated through. Fork through again before tipping the cumin roasted veg onto the top and sprinkling with almonds, if using.
Recipe by at http://www.inspirewomensfitness.com/vegetable-pilaf-recipe