Do you love pizza, but don’t love the fat and calories that come along with it? Why not try making your own homemade pizza? It tastes just as good if not better than bought pizza – and it is a lot healthier! This pizza/dough recipe has become part of our weekly meal plan and I wanted to share it with you all.
Note: I choose to have this as one of my clean cheat meals. Whether you use it for one of your cheat meals depends on where you are in your fitness journey; many will incorporate this weekly for dinner as part of a healthy lifestyle – and that is perfectly fine!
- 2 TBSP honey
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 TBSP active dry yeast
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TSP salt
- 3 1/2 cups wholewheat flour
1. In a large bowl, dissolve the honey in the warm water. Sprinkle yeast over the top, and let stand for about 10 minutes, until foamy.
2. Stir the olive oil and salt into the yeast mixture, then mix in 3 cups of the whole wheat flour until dough starts to come together. Tip dough out onto a surface floured with the remaining flour, and knead until all of the flour has been absorbed, and the ball of dough becomes smooth, about 10 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover loosely with a towel, and let stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
3. When the dough has doubled, tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and divide into 2 pieces for 2 thin crusts, or leave whole to make one thick crust. Form into a tight ball. Let rise for about 45 minutes, until doubled.
4. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C/200 fanbake). Roll a ball of dough with a rolling pin until it will not stretch any further. Then, drape it over both of your fists, and gently pull the edges outward, while rotating the crust. When the circle has reached the desired size, place on a well oiled pizza pan. Top pizza with your favorite toppings, such as clean tomato paste (tomatoes & salt – no other ingredients), chicken breast, bell pepper, tomatoes, spinach, mushroom, pineapple, cheese and/or any other toppings of your choice.
5.Bake for 16 to 20 minutes (depending on thickness) in the preheated oven, until the crust is crisp and golden at the edges, and cheese is melted on the top.
Want to see more? Sign up for updates… IT’S FREE!