Name: Emma Smyth
Height: 5ft 6in
Starting Weight: 166lbs
Current Weight: 133lbs
How did you get started in health and fitness?
After many failed attempts I finally made a new years resolution in January 2012 to get to my goal weight and get fit.
What is your best accomplishment so far?
Last summer I ran a mini marathon and it felt amazing to feel so fit and be able to run at ease!
What workout routine has worked best for you?
Most of my transformation happened during the months when I did Insanity and Asylum!
Top 3 favorite exercises and why?
1. Skipping (burns a lot of calories in a short amount of time)
2. Running (this is when I have my “me” time and I love to exercise outside)
3. Weight lifting (because it makes me leaner and stronger)
How do you stay motivated? Who inspires you?
I stay motivated by weighing and measuring myself weekly. It’s important to me to maintain my weight because I have worked hard to get here.
I get inspiration from everyone else who stays fit.. If they can do it so can I !!!
What is your favorite type of cardio?
Running because you can do it anywhere!
What does your current training routine look like?
I do weight lifting 4 days a week
- back & biceps
- shoulders & abs
- chest & triceps
I also do 3 days of Asylum for my cardio!!
What Is your diet like? Do you follow a specific diet?
I eat a fairly clean vegetarian diet, I try to stick to my daily macro nutrients 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat…. High protein makes a big difference especially when weight lifting.
How do you deal with cravings?
I try to fill up on good low GI foods that way I don’t get too hungry, but I do treat myself every now and then.
What are your favourite meals?
Quorn spaghetti bolognese
Baked sweet potatoes
Spinach and goats cheese salad
Egg white omelette with cottage cheese
What is your favourite cheat food?
If you could start back from the first day you started training would you do anything different?
I would have added the weight training in from day one. I can’t stress enough the difference it makes.
What are your tips for success for beginners?
* You can’t out train a bad diet, eat clean and well if you want to see results from your workouts
* Keep motivated, look at other people’s transformations. If they can do it you can too!
* Get your goals clear in your head, know what you are aiming for.
Top 3 tips for people who want to get in shape?
* Do something you enjoy doing. Dance class, sports, running.
* Push yourself, don’t get complacent.
* Good nutrition is of the utmost important, fuel your body properly.
What are your top health & fitness tools you would recommend?
* Food scales are important until you learn portion control.
* Myfitnesspal is an amazing resource, highly recommended.
* The Beachbody workouts are amazing and there are many to choose from.
* I always wear my heart rate monitor working out, you need to know your limits…. So you can push them!
Is there anything else you would like to add?
Anyone can get in shape and be at their goal weight, yes it takes hard work but it is completely worth it. You will feel amazing, healthy and confident.